July 12, 2009

Picnic Inspired / Tutorial

Friday I took my good friend Amanda out for her birthday and last minuet decided I didn’t like my outfit and throw on the dress I made for the fourth of July. (It’s not really a dress, it is basically a high skirt (the white take top is not attached))

To Make:
-Fabric (two times bigger then your high waist measurement)
-Elastic (I chose a wide piece)
-Sewing machine and all that jazz

Lay fabric out. (How wide you want your fabric.)--> My high waist measurement doubled was 56 so I marked 56 inches on the fabric. (How long you want your fabric.) --> Next I measured on my body from where I wanted the skirt to start on my waist and where I wanted it to end around my knees and added an inch for seam allowance. With that number I marked my material and then cut out the piece I needed.

I hemmed one end of the fabric, the bottom on my skirt. With the other un-hemmed end I gathered the material with just a needle and thread to make pleats in the skirt.

(Gathering fabric by hand) --> Put enough thread on your needle that is a couple inches bigger then your waist measurement. (Knot the end of the thread) Next with the un-hemmed end weave your needle in and out of your fabric, making your way to the other side from which you started from. When you have made it across your fabric you should be able to move your material to make different messy pleats.
(If you have your own way of gathering or find it easier with a machine, just do what you find most comfortable.)

Take your skirt inside out and sew the remaining edges together, connecting your skirt to make it wearable.

The last part is to hide where you gathered your material from. I machine sewn the skirt to the elastic, turned the skirt wrong inside out again and connected the elastic together.. And I was done!

If you decide to make one I would love to see pictures.





I'm mad I only got a couple full body shots of the dress. And sorry the pictures aren't that great.

No comments:

Post a Comment